My photo
CHOREOGRAPHER, DANCER, DANCE INSTRUCTOR AND MOVEMENT CONSULTANT







Check PERFORMANCES! I wuold love to see you at any of my events..


I beleive in the power of individuals to create and transform their destiny
I am a woman of the world, I can fit in any culture
But if I hear a "Tambor".... I feel the call of Africa en mi sangre....


As an artist, I create myself everyday. My main inspirations are my daughters, Naima & Nayah.
My teachers: My children who patiently put up with a grownup.....All the other artists, my students and the inmates at the Broward Correctional Institute where I teach "Raices". They have taught me to appreciate many things I took for granted before.

My guides: My maestro, Arnaldo Paterson, Katherine Duham, Ghandi, Guido Gonzalez del Valle, Robert Reford, Salvador Dali, Caetano Veloso

ARTIST'S BIOGRAPHY



Elena Garcia holds a degree in Modern Dance and Cuban Folklore from the National School of the Arts of Cuba. She was a company member of the prestigious Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba. Her style is very unique with a Latin twist combined with various ethnic and contemporary forms of movement.

Ms. Garcia’s international credits include working as an instructor, dancer and choreographer in Spain, Germany, Argentina and the Dominican Republic. After relocating to South Florida, she founded the Iroko Afro-Cuban Dance Theater, presenting full seasons of performances and outreach programs in South Florida for seven years. Ms. Garcia has been commissioned to choreograph for numerous artists and companies including a Lambada piece for Fernando Bujones’ presentation in Miami in 1990, numerous presentations of Latin diva Albita including the video “Azucar pa’ tu amragura”, and several plays for the Prometeo Theater.

In the last twenty years, Ms Garcia has been a frequent guest of different Dance Festivals including the Florida Dance Festival in Miami, Florida, the Hispanic Festival at the Global Education Center in Nashville, Tennessee, the “Fa Nyere Fa Annual African Dance & Drum Conference” in Atlanta, Georgia and the Summer Dance Institute of Cleo Parker Robinson Dance in Denver, Colorado. She was part of the first Miami cast of the nationally acclaimed project: “From the Horses’ Mouth” in 2004. Since 2001,

Ms. Garcia serves as Adjunct Faculty of African Diaspora, Caribbean and Modern Dance at Florida International University and the New World School of the Arts. She collaborates with ArtSpring where she created the program “Raices” to teach creative art and movement to the Latino population at the Broward Correctional Institution.

She is co-director of “Mojito Andaluz” a fusion project of Afro-Cuban and Flamenco dance that has been performed in Miami and in Nashville, Tennessee. Presently she offers a variety of educational programs with the “Elena Garcia Dance Project”.

Elena Garcia is an Arts Facilitator with ArtSpring, an organization that provides a variety of Art programs for distressed populations. Through this organization Elena created the program "Raices" for the inmates at the Broward Correctional Center.

Last December, Elena worked with the 26th Street Theater staging the choreography of "The sounds of Simon"